Preparation + cooking time = 30 to 40 minutes.
Makes- Approx. 12 Gulab jamuns.
For the dumplings (jamun balls) -
Milk powder- 1½ cups.
Ghee – 1½ tsp (solid ghee and not melted)
Maida/ Refined flour – 1½ tsp.
Semolina – 1½ tsp, soaked in water for 5 minutes and drained well.
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp.
Milk- 1/5 th cup or just enough to make a soft crumbly mixture.
Oil/ghee- For frying.(you can mix both oil and ghee)
For the sugar syrup -
Sugar- 1 cups.
Water- 3/4 cup.
Milk- 1 tbsp.
Cardamom- 1 pod, crushed.
Rose water- 3 to 4 drops.
Lemon juice- 1tsp
- In a heavy bottomed pan, combine sugar and water. Bring it to boil stirring nicely, so that the sugar gets dissolved. Add milk. This helps in separating impurities in the syrup. Scum off the dirt if any.
- Boil the syrup till it reaches one string consistency.
- Quickly add in crushed cardamom, rose water and lemon juice (lemon juice will disallow the crystallisation of sugar in the syrup) and switch off the gas.
- For the dumplings, in a bowl, take milk powder, add ghee to it and combine the two using both your hands. Rub the mixture between your palms to make a dry crumbly mixture.
- Add maida/ refined flour and baking soda, mix well. Add in semolina and mix again. Finally sprinkle milk little by little and mix with your fingers to form a soft dough. Remember, you don’t have to kneed it. Just mix it with your fingers to form a dough that is not stretchy. It should break off easily into pieces when you pull it out. Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in around 12 parts and roll them out between your palms into smooth balls. It should be a little less than the lime size. Since they will swell up during frying and soaking.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet. The oil should not be smoking hot. It should be just hot that when you drop a bit of the dough in the oil, it sizzles and comes up to the surface slowly. Fry the dumplings stirring them constantly so that get an even golden brown color. Frying may take 7-8 minutes so the dumplings are not raw from inside.
- Remove from oil when done, drain excess oil. Add these dumpling into the sugar syrup. Let it stand for an hour so that the dumplings absorb the sweet syrup.